Discussing the Dangers of Dogs and Chocolate

Dogs and chocolate - There are always different opinions circulating about whether or not there is in a danger in combining these two.

If the truth be told, it is. No Doubt. The substance known as chocolate contains theobromine, and it that can be very dangerous to dogs in large quantities.

Theobromine is a xanthine compound from the same family as caffeine and theophylline. It is however, not very harmful in small quantities. Depending on the chocolate in question small amounts may not cause any complications, perhaps only a bit of a problem for the digestive system.

Here are some calculations for levels of theobromine per oz.

  • Milk chocolate – 44mg per oz

  • Semisweet – 150mg per oz

  • Baker’s – 390mg per oz

So it is common sense really to determine the dosage that is acceptable to individual dogs depending on their body size.

Smaller dogs, like Yorkshire Terriers, should be given extremely small amounts and larger dogs not very much more. Although in most cases dogs will be able to digest (with difficulty) the chocolate, don’t make it a regular habit.

Xanthines primarily affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. Hence the reason why caffeine keeps you awake. The following are signs of these effects:

  • Hyper Irritability
  • Hyper Excitability
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscular tremors
  • Increased Urination
  • Restlessness
  • Vomiting

Treatment for the ingestion of chocolate is not specific. If you are worried about how much your dog has eaten then it may be an idea to induce vomiting within the first 1-2 hours but it may be best to get in contact with a vet and ask for advice on the situation.

So, remember that mixing dogs and chocolate is not a good idea. It can be a fatal mistake. Get in contact with your vet about procedures if your dog does have too much and is showing signs of this. Do not hesitate to do this, it could save your dogs life!


Has your dog ever eaten chocolate?

If your yorkie has ever ingested chocolate please tell us what signs or symptoms alerted you to the fact that they had.

By sharing your story you could help other yorkie owners be aware of what to look out for.

[ ? ]

Upload 1-4 Pictures or Graphics (optional)[ ? ]

 

Click here to upload more images (optional)

Author Information (optional)

To receive credit as the author, enter your information below.

(first or full name)

(e.g., City, State, Country)

Submit Your Contribution

 submission guidelines.


(You can preview and edit on the next page)

What Other Visitors Have Said

Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...

My Yorkie - Penny Not rated yet
My Yorkie is fairly large - 7kg - too fat since a friend looked after her whilst I was on holiday. Anyhow, came home recently to find she'd managed …

Click here to write your own.


Finished reading about the dangers of dogs and chocolate?
Read on for more dangerous foods for dogs

Return to Yorkshire Terrier Nutrition